Youth United Way Program
Youth United Way of Lake County (YUW) is a youth directed initiative designed to teach students how to mobilize community resources to make a positive impact through the spirit of service.
Our YUW program is for students in grades 7-12 who are interested in developing leadership skills while learning about community needs and volunteer opportunities. Students engage in site visits to local non-profit agencies where they learn about the services they provide and the clients they serve. The program takes place over 6 sessions culminating with the opportunity for students to take what they've learned, collaborate with one another, and decide which non-profit programs in Lake County will receive real money funding.
The program objective includes teaching students how to:
- Develop and nurture leadership skills through teamwork, problem sollving and compromise.
- Connect with community leaders across Lake County
- Develop a sense of philanthropic ownership in the community
- Improve the community through youth-led service projects
- Create an understanding about programs and services offered in Lake County
- Learn about and implement the process of allocating funds
- Nurture the importance of keeping youth and community connected
- Gain professional experiences through networking and effective decision making.
TO SIGN UP:
2021 Program Details to be Released in the Near Future
Application: The application for the 2021 program will be posted in the near future. This, along with a Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or staff member at your school should be submited to Zach Siebert:
- Via Email (Scan documents & Email) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to: Jean Sency, United Way of Lake County, 9285 Progress Parkway, Mentor, OH 44060
Questions: Contact Jean Sency o at 440-639-1286 or via email at email@example.com
2021 Program Schedule: This will be posted in the near future along with the program application. Partial information from our 2020 program can be found below.
Brochure: Click here for a copy of our brochure.
Take a look at what our 2017 Youth United Way students had to say about their experience:
2020 Youth United Way Program Session Schedule (The NEW 2021 Schedule will be posted in the near future)
Students meet at the United Way of Lake County office prior to departuring for each off-site visit. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from our United Way office. We provide transportation to the various off-site locations we'll be visiting as part of the program.The address of each off-site location is listed in the below session schedule, or will be provided at a later date.
Attire: Please wear comfortable clothing for all sessions except the last session. The last session is the allocation session which will be set up as a board meeting. For this, please wear business attire.