Registration for our Youth United Way of Lake County 2020 Program is Now Open.
Youth United Way of Lake County (YUW) is a youth directed initiative designed to teach students how to mobilize community resources to make a positive impact through the spirit of service.
Our YUW program is for high school students who are interested in developing leadership skills while learning about community needs and volunteer opportunities. Students engage in site visits to local non-profit agencies where they learn about the services they provide and the clients they serve. The program takes place over 6 sessions culminating with the opportunity for students to take what they've learned, collaborate with one another, and decide which non-profit programs in Lake County will receive real money funding.
The program objective includes teaching students how to:
- Develop and nurture leadership skills through teamwork, problem sollving and compromise.
- Connect with community leaders across Lake County
- Develop a sense of philanthropic ownership in the community
- Improve the community through youth-led service projects
- Create an understanding about programs and services offered in Lake County
- Learn about and implement the process of allocating funds
- Nurture the importance of keeping youth and community connected
- Gain professional experiences through networking and effective decision making.
TO SIGN UP:
Application: Click here to download a copy of the application form. This, along with a Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or staff member at your school should be submited to Jodi Matsko:
Via Email (Scan documents & Email) to: email@example.com
Mail or Drop Off to: Jodi Matsko, United Way of Lake County, 9285 Progress Parkway, Mentor, OH 44060
Questions: Contact Jodi Matsko at 440-639-1236 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Program Schedule: Click here for the complete 2020 six (6) session program schedule Partial information can also be found below.
Brochure: Click here for a copy of our brochure.
Take a look at what our 2017 Youth United Way students had to say about their experience:
2020 Youth United Way Program Session Schedule
Students will be responsible for their own transportation to the various sites we will be visiting. We will meet at United Way of Lake County offices prior to departure of each off-site visit. The address of each off-site location is listed below the session schedule, or will be provided at a later date.
Attire: Please wear comfortable clothing for all sessions except the last session. The last session is the allocation session which will be set up as a board meeting. For this, please wear business attire.