Care Kits Needed for United Way of Lake County’s Contactless Drive-By Drop Off Event Wednesday June 24, 2020
June 16, 2020 (Mentor, OH) –United Way of Lake County (UWLC) is hosting a contactless drive-by drop off Care Kit donation event on Wednesday, June 24, 2020 from 9 am – 7 pm.
“We’re continuing to work hard to meet the needs of our community and due to the pandemic, we’ve replaced our traditional Day of Caring with a new way for the community to come together to help our most vulnerable residents during this time of great need,” said UWLC President and CEO Jennifer McCarty.
United Way of Lake County is asking residents, businesses and organizations to help by dropping off Care Kits which include:
- Food Care Kits: Non-perishable food items - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Most needed items include pasta, pasta sauce, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter, jelly, cereal, syrup, pancake mix, breakfast bars, canned meats such as tuna, ham, spam, canned vegetables, soup, rice and beans.
- Health Care Kits
Dental Kits - Toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, etc.
Personal Hygiene Kits- Soap, body wash, shampoo, deodorant, shaving cream, shaving wands, feminine hygiene, products, etc.
- Safety Care Kits: PPE, face masks, (medical or homemade), medical gloves, hand sanitizer, etc.
- Education Care Kits: Children’s books or school supplies containing such items as backpacks, pencils, pencil cases, highlighters, dry erase markets, bottle glue, glue sticks, wide rule notebooks, wide rule loose leaf paper, pocket folders with prongs, 24-pack crayons, washable markets, large pink erasers, index cards, 3 ring binders, 12-pack colored pencils, children’s pointed scissors and supply boxes.
- Financial Stability Care Kits: Gas cards, bus passes, food & grocery store gift cards, etc.
- Baby Care Kits: Baby food, diapers, bottles, clothes, etc.
Care Kits can be dropped off on Wednesday, June 24, 2020 from 9 am – 7 pm at one of five locations. These include the Main Mentor Public Library at 8215 Mentor Avenue in Mentor, the Perry Public Library at 3753 Main Street in Perry, the United Way Office at 9285 Progress Parkway in Mentor, the Willowick Public Library at 263 E. 305th St. in Willowick and the Willoughby Hills Public Library, 35400 Chardon Rd. in Willoughby Hills.
Drive-by drop-offs will be contactless. No one will have to exit their cars. Donors are asked to place Care Kits in their trunks and to pop them open upon arrival, where volunteers will remove them.
The Care Kit Day of Caring drive-by drop-off event is being held to replace UWLC’s annual Day of Caring where they connect non-profit, civic and community projects with volunteers to make a meaningful impact throughout Lake County. Volunteers typically work on a variety of projects which include things like indoor and outdoor painting, weeding, raking, trimming, gardening, spreading mulch, edging flower beds, planting and yard clean-up, to things like hosting barbeques and ice cream socials for seniors and children.
Aside from the need to social distance, the health crisis has brought on an increase in need for a variety of items included in the Care Kit requests. UWLC will be working with their non-profit partners to ensure all Care Kits are provided to Lake County residents in need.