28th Annual Feed Lake County Food & Fundraising Drive March 2- April 24, 2020
Hunger in Lake County
25,770 Lake County residents live with food insecurity. That's 11.2% of the population and 17% of children.
1 in 9 residents struggle with hunger.
17,289 Lake County residents live in poverty (7.5%). 3,688 (8%) are children and 2,766 (6%) are seniors.
34% of Lake County households struggle to afford basic needs. This includes the working poor (27%) and those who live in poverty (7.5%).
Lifeline's help referral hotline received 8,978 inquiries for food assistance in 2019. Inquiries for food rank #1 among all inquiries received.
The food and money raised during our annual Feed Lake County food drive help more than 40 food pantries throughout Lake County. These food pantries depend upon community efforts to help feed families, children and senior citizens in need. They depend upon United Way of Lake County. We depend on you.
All food and dollars raised in Lake County stay in Lake County, helping our own friends and neighbors in need.
How We Impacted Hunger Last Year
With the help of community, we helped feed those suffering from hunger by last year by:
- Providing over 40 local food pantries with enough food for 330,134 meals.
- Providing much needed formula to the parents of 241 babies.
- Helping to provide 27,968 congregate meals to Lake County seniors.
What You Can Do Now To Help
You have the power to make a difference in the fight against hunger. Below are a few ways you can help. Will you join us?
- Organize a food drive at your organization and then donate the food items and money collected to United Way of Lake County. To sign up to participate in a food or fundraising drive, contact Jodi Matsko at 440.639.1236 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make a monetary donation to United Way of Lake County. You may click here to donate online or mail a check made payable to United Way of Lake County to United Way of Lake County, 9285 Progress Parkway, Mentor, OH 44060. Please make a notation when sending a check that it is for our Feed Lake County program.
- Make arrangements to drop off your donation or have your donation picked up by contacting Jodi Matsko at 440.639.1236 or via email at email@example.com.
- Volunteer. If you or someone you know is interested in helping us sort food items we could use your help! If interested, please contact Jodi Matsko at 440.639.1236 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following infographic shows what hunger looks like in Lake County (click on this to enlarge and/or print).