Benjamin F. Edwards Feed Lake County Food & Fundraising Drive
Hunger in Lake County
25,770 Lake County residents live with food insecurity. That's 11.2% of the population and 17% of children.
1 in 9 residents struggle with hunger.
17,289 Lake County residents live in poverty (7.5%). 3,688 (8%) are children and 2,766 (6%) are seniors.
34.5% of Lake County households struggle to afford basic needs. This includes the working poor (27%) and those who live in poverty (7.5%).
Lifeline's help referral hotline received 8,978 inquiries for food assistance in 2019. Inquiries for food rank #1 among all inquiries received.
The food and money raised during our annual Feed Lake County food drive helps more than 40 food pantries throughout Lake County. These food pantries depend upon community efforts to help feed families, children and senior citizens in need. They depend upon United Way of Lake County. We depend on you.
All food and dollars raised in Lake County stay in Lake County, helping our own friends and neighbors in need.
For a look at some of the faces of hunger in Lake County, click here.
How United Way of Lake County Impacted Hunger Last Year
With the help of community, we helped feed those suffering from hunger by last year by:
- Providing over 40 local food pantries with enough food for 330,134 meals.
- Providing much needed formula to the parents of 241 babies.
- Helping to provide 27,968 congregate meals to Lake County seniors.
4 Simple Ways To Help
Benjamin F. Edwards & Co. in Mentor has joined us as our Health Impact Champion. As part of this, they are spearheading our fight against hunger. Below are a few ways you can help now:
- In the face of COVID-19, we are now encouraging monetary donations as the number one way to contribute. Please click here to donate online or mail a check made payable to United Way of Lake County to United Way of Lake County, ATT: Feed Lake County, 9285 Progress Parkway, Mentor, OH 44060.
- Organize a food drive at your organization and then donate the food items and money collected to United Way of Lake County. To sign up to participate in a food or fundraising drive, contact Jodi Matsko at 440.639.1236 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate non-perishable food. Please contact Jodi Matsko at 440.639.1236 or via email at email@example.com to make arrangements to have your donation picked up.
- Volunteer. If you or someone you know is interested in helping us sort food items we can use your help! If interested, please contact Jodi Matsko at 440.639.1236 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The below infographic shows what hunger looks like in Lake County (click on this to enlarge and/or print).